Friday, February 24

Reflections on Our Holy Spirit Chat

A few weeks ago, I started discipling a couple of college guys at Trinity. Here they are. The one of the left is Eric Beem, and the goofy lookin' one on the right is Aaron Leggett. They are two awesome men of God. I've been so blessed to get to know them.

Last night I met with Aaron, and we spent time studying what Scripture says about the Holy Spirit. What a great topic! Both of us were perplexed at how the majority of the church today neglects talking about the Holy Spirit. Apparently, if you start talking about the Holy Spirit, you just may turn into some crazy Pentecostal or something. Oh, no!

In particular, we talked about receiving power from the Holy Spirit. Most people are familiar with Acts 1:8 -
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
While the phenomenon of speaking in tongues is only mentioned a few times, the Holy Spirit's empowerment for testifying about Christ is one of the central themes of Acts. So, why don't we hear that preached in our churches? Our intimate fellowship with the Holy Spirit should result in more boldness in sharing our faith. And yet, isn't this one area where the church in the West has become impotent?

We came to the conclusion that this is the result simply of unbelief. Essentially, the church (myself included) do not trust that God has equipped us the very same power the early church possessed in our mission to the world. Instead we rely on tracts and response cards, evangelistic "methods" and being relevant, and the "wisdom of this world." All this is why 1 Corinthians 2:1-4 blew us away -
When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling [this is Paul talking!!!]. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.
Lord, have mercy on me. Help us in our unbelief.

5 Comments:

At 2/24/2006 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was good reconnecting last night. It sounds like the Lord is using you friend.
Ry

 
At 2/24/2006 3:38 PM, Blogger Notablogger said...

I was just thinking about how many worship songs neglect the Holy Spirit. I mean we sing about the Father and the Son an awesful lot, but how many times can you count on one finger how many songs are singularly framed around the Spirit? Maybe I just don't know that many Holy Spirit songs...anyone care to enlighten.

 
At 2/24/2006 4:06 PM, Blogger Kevin C said...

I think there are a few worship songs out there that at least mention the Spirit, but I can't think of any off thetop of my head. I don't know of any that are specifically framed around the Spirit. Good point.

 
At 2/25/2006 9:12 AM, Blogger Randy said...

As someone who was lead to Christ through a pentacostal church, left it to attend a methodist church, spent most of my time ministering through a non-denom. para-church organization, was baptized in a baptist church and now attends a lutheran church, I must say we are very afraid to give too much emphasis to the holy spirit. By far the most mysterious member of the holy trinity (and they're all pretty mysterious!) we just consider it just too tough to speak too precisely about the spirit. we are too nervous we'll a) be perceived as too charismatic; b) be too charismatic; or c) mess up and ascribe things to the spirit that are really our emotions; we really walk on egg shells on this one.
As a worship leader, I am aware of no songs done in churches out side a charismatic or pentacostal tradition that explicitly address the third person of the trinity, which is a shame. maybe i'll write one.
we always have the old hymns.

 
At 2/25/2006 11:44 AM, Blogger Kevin C said...

I love you Randy Surface!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home