Friday, March 3

Reflections on Being Garbage, Part Two

I couldn't get to sleep last night because I was thinking a lot about our trip. But, I also reflected more on being made the "refuse of the world". Just to clarify, I don't thing Christians should develop large martyr complexes because of a little deirision or suffering. The last thing I want is for us to glorify suffering or descend into a self-pitying victim mentality. But, we should be willing to endure derision with patience and humility knowing that the hope we have in being united with Christ far outweighs anything that might happen to us in this life. I'm so touched by Paul writing in his last letter before his martyrdom:
For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day - and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6-8)
What a great verse. By being made garbage, Paul became the fertile ground out of which sprung so much fruit. I'm so amazed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home