Wednesday, April 26

Reflections on American Materialism, Part One

If there's one thing I dislike about American society, it's the shameless priviledged attitudes we hold. This has been further reinforced by the current grumblings over gas prices. I read on CNN.com that in a recent poll 69% of Americans say they are experiencing moderate to severe "hardship" due to the higher fuel costs. Hardship?!? Agghh!! I can understand how it might pinch those families living on the edge of poverty, but I doubt that number comes close to 69% of the country! But, apparently spending an extra $15-$20 to fill up your H3 is classified as hardship. And the irony is that according to the numbers, right now we're in some of the best economic growth our country has ever seen. If there is any time when Americans can afford higher gas prices, it's now.

The fact is that low gas prices have been seen as a vitual birth right to most Americans. The low costs of the past have made it possible for us to buy that bigger car or the more expensive TV, thereby fueling our ever increasing lust for more stuff. The most startling statistic to me is that for the first time in our history, the average savings rate for Americans is in the negative. That means we are now on average spending more than we make.

I may be the only person in this country that's rooting for prices to keep going up. I'm pushing for $5-$6 per gallon! Why not $8! Then maybe, just maybe, we might start producing energy efficient cars and homes, or develop alternative sources to fuel, or create a reliable public transportation network.

I say all of this though knowing that I'm a product of my culture just as much as I'm a critic of it. I've been convicted by the Holy Spirit many times of how I like to horde possessions and money to satisfy my own lusts. But, one of the reasons I detest what I see in society so much is that I also see it me. Lord, have mercy on us. We really do need to be transformed in our hearts and minds so that we can be in the culture but not of it.
In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. The Israelites said to them, 'If only we had died by the Lord's hand in Egypt!'...and Moses said, 'You will know that it was the Lord when he gives you meat to eat in the evening and all the bread you want in the morning, because he has heard your grumbling against him. Who are we? You are not grumbling against us, but against the Lord.' -Exodus 16:2-3, 8

2 Comments:

At 4/27/2006 7:56 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Don't even get me started on this...your wife and Karin and I had a good discussion on this at Cold Stone when you guys were in. My favorite quote of the night was from Karin, on SUV's: "They only have 5 seats!!"
Being in the advertising business, I try to read through TV ads all the time. It's amazing to me to see how many products are pushed on us as "needs." New cars, new homes, new appliances, new clothes, new, new, new. Whatever happened to being happy where we are and with what we have?
We have been watching HGTV lately and have also noticed this trend when people are buying new homes: "This is a great place to start a family, but once it's started we'll obviously need a 3000-square-foot home." It's disgusting.
When did we, as Americans, become so "now, now, now!" and "new, new, new!"?
It more and more makes us want to be self-sufficient farmers. And I'm almost serious.

 
At 4/27/2006 9:58 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

And I just came across this as well: "You have abandoned your people, the house of Jacob. They are full of superstitions from the East; they practice divination like the Philistines and clasp hands with pagans. Their land is full of silver and gold; there is no end to their treasures. Their land is full of horses; there is no end to their chariots. Their land is full of idols; they bow down to the work of their hands, to what their fingers have made. So man will be brought low and mankind humbled - do not forgive them." - Isaiah 2:6-9

 

Post a Comment

<< Home