Thursday, April 27

Reflections on American Materialism, Part Two

As was evidenced by yesterday's rant, it's easy for me to condemn the ills and evils in our society from my protected shelter of criticism. The reality is that I have to go no further to find materialism than my own heart. Right now Kathi and I are saving up for a new laptop. I find myself becoming protective of this money even though there have been numerous opportunities that have arisen to help friends or family members who are in need. I have been deeply convicted about my lack of generosity.

The Lord has been revealing to me that materialism is not so much an issue of negative behaviors as it is an issue of not clothing ourselves with positive, Christ-like character. The Scripture that has been most convicting to me lately is Ephesians 4:28.
He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.
What stood out to me about this was the explicit purpose Paul gives for work. In American society, work is seen as a means to provide oneself and one's family with food and shelter as well as comforts and luxuries. In Paul's eyes, the purpose of work is to gain resources which can then be shared with those in need. The question becomes, what is our motive for working? Are we working to make enough money for that sweet vacation or a nice retirement? Or are we working so that we can immediately turn those resources towards sharing with the needy?

Not only do our negative behaviors need to be surrendered, but we also must clothe ourselves with the generosity and contentedness that Christ exhibited. This kind of overhaul is possible only through the sancification of the Holy Spirit. As believers, let's turn from our worldly behavior and attitude, and pray that God would transform us into givers instead of takers and horders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home