Friday, April 28

Reflections on Emerging Cool

For the past few months, I've been interacting and wrestling with the ideas of the Emerging Church movement. I won't go into an in-depth comment about it at this point. The movement itself is very nebulous, so it's hard to get an accurate sense of what it actually means to be "emerging". I've seen so many good ideas coming from this "conversation", and I'm excited to seen how it can possibly wake the wider body of Christ to greater holiness and service.

But, there are many issues that I'm still not sure about. Again, I won't go into it at this point.
One thing that I have been thinking about lately is the tendency in the younger generation of Christians to go to great lengths to be cool in today's culture. This trend is not confined to the Emerging Church, but it's definitely a current running through it. Anyway, younger believers are going out of their way to dress their ministries and their lives in such a way as to be attractive to the dominant cool culture. It seems that this demonstrates a deep insecurity in our faith and convictions.

But, I just can't seem to shake the question, is Jesus cool? In my eyes, we serve a rather uncool God. Why then do we (myself included) want to dress up our faith in hopes that we meet the approval of our generation? Our generation may be attracted at first, but many will soon discover the decidedly offensive Gospel still lies underneath the fancy wrapping.


I highly recommend this post from The Hub. Check it out.

Also, if you want to laugh, check out Purgatorio's spin on the Emerging Church.

1 Comments:

At 5/05/2006 3:21 PM, Blogger Kevin C said...

Thanks for the insights. It seems like you've thought alot about all this too.

I'm not necessarily criticizing Christians who wear trendy clothes or listen to Sufjan. I'm more remarking on the attempt by younger Christians to dress themselves up in such a way in order to make Jesus (and themselves) more palpable to the surrounding culture. So, if you bleed from you heart indy rock, that's beautiful. But, being a Christian also means following a message that is the anti-thesis of what the world is offering, and by consequence can be very offensive and "uncool" to this world. In this aspect, we as believer should rather embrace those things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home