Monday, April 3

Reflections on The Pasttime

Joy, joy, joy! Opening Day is here! Finally, we can put behind us the dark and depressing days of winter. We can cast off the incessant droning of lesser sports. Baseball is back! Today has to be my favorite day of the entire year. Christmas? Bah! Valentine's Day? Scowf! Arbor Day? Garbage!

Let me tell you why baseball is so great. No sport in this country has 160 years of heritage to draw from. No sport in this country has so mirror American culture and society. No sport in
this country has the nuances and refinements of this game. No sport quite has the beautiful balance of physical prowess, perseverence, mental toughness, and ultimate triumph as baseball. I love baseball!


There are some out there who will tell you that baseball is boring and slow. That just exposes their ignorance! We live in such an instant gratification society that if nothing is blowing up or someone's not getting the crap beaten out them then it's obviously not a sport! Baseball is so much better than all of that!

Now, I know Opening Day springs hope eternal, but I think my Cincinnati Reds could be a real dark horse this year. I mean, I know a lot things would have to come together, but it's possible! Well, I gotta get going. Reds vs. Cubs is starting. Gonna take my lunch break to watch the game!

4 Comments:

At 4/04/2006 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scowf?

 
At 4/04/2006 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My White Sox are 1-0! Sorry about your pummeling yesterday by the Cubbies...

 
At 4/06/2006 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Sox!

 
At 4/07/2006 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you know my feelings about "your team" and and Ken Griffey Poser Jr. But, I agree about Arbor Day as compared to Opening Day. It was a miserable day in Philly, but still electric. We were obviously taken to town on that one...and the one since, and that other one...and probably tonight..BUT IT'S ALL GOOD! I love baseball. NOTE TO CRAMS: Third week in June - Shafferlains in the HIZOUSE!! Chi-town style. We are willing to sell my nasty migraine-inducing, crazy-making, new-brand-cause-the-old-one-was-recalled birth control for tickets to any game that weekend. :)
MY LOVE TO THE CRAMS! You're Cramtastic!

p.s. who would really buy counterfeit birth control? ew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home