Friday, June 30

Reflections on Areopagus Ministry

Every time that I read through the book of Acts I'm stunned by the boldness and apparent fearlessness of the apostles. In particular, I was reading recently Paul's encounter with the philosophers in Athens. Now, this passage has been used every which way in terms of contextualization. But, this time I was struck by the simple fortitude of Paul. This backward Jew is standing among some of the great thinkers of the world while they ridicule, demean, and look down upon him.

It made me think about how this situation, in which Paul finds himself, is very similar to the intellectual environment of Europe. I'm sure confessional Christianity in Germany receives it fair share of "What is this babbler trying to say." The reality is that as a follower of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I will frequently be seen as intellectually inferior.

A veteran missionary at our conference told a story of an interaction he had long ago. He befriended an intelligent and well-meaning person and began to share God's love with Him. This person was confounded by the missionary's belief in Jesus. After much thought, he said to the missionary, "I understand you now. You missed the Enlightenment!"


Somehow I have to be okay with this opinion. I know that I'm no where near that. The mere thought of this situation drives me to anxiety. I hate the idea of people belittling me or not taking me seriously. In my flesh, I desparately want to be approved of. By God's grace though, I'll be like Paul, who saw only the approval of his Father as necessary, and spoke with great boldness in the face of rejection.

2 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 4:00 PM, Blogger Notablogger said...

Speaking of impressive titles...

 
At 7/15/2006 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I'm reading through Acts today for the DE version of History of Missions at Trinity - yay for summer school and homework! - and I came to this passage about Paul in Athens, and it made me think of you... and I thought this was interesting, in light of your thoughts about being thought of as a babbler:

Farther down in the passage, it says this (v. 26ff) - "From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us." These verses are underlined in my Bible, and on the other side of the arrow I drew pointing to these verses, I wrote: "why go"...

Whether you are viewed as a babbler or not, there are appointed times and people waiting in Germany for you, just as there were people in Athens waiting to hear Paul speak. He is already not far from them. It's kind of like what Lewis says about how we're vain creatures fooling around with sex and drink and ambition like a child who insists upon making mudpies in the slums, never dreaming what is meant by a holiday at the sea - but once someone explains it to them... who wouldn't choose the sea? Babble away, my friend - in Turkish, German, and in English. God has already given both you and Kathi an incredible vision for and understanding of the people to whom He has called you, and I'm really looking forward to hearing all the stories of what God will do - both in and through you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home