Wednesday, June 28

Reflections on Blog Dangers

I've been questioning lately the value of blogging. I look back at the past four months on the blogosphere, and I see how at times I've been so concerned about whether anyone is actually reading this thing. The original intent was to use this as a kind of journal. Unfortunately, I wonder how much of the real me is truly represented. Many times, I'm just trying to think of something clever or witty to write.

I have certainly received an education on the seduction of blogs. They are the ultimate vehicle for self-worship and self-gratification. Although I love the idea of being able to look back years from now on the way my life has progressed, I'm wondering if blogging is rather the perfect device for pride, self-love, and narcissism. Can a person blog without being swept up into these God dishonoring traits?

4 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know your own heart, Kevin, so I can't speak to that, but at least one person is reading your blog lately - I've just not had a whole lot of time to write anything in response. And while I suppose that it's true that this could become an aid to narcissism, if it's helping you to process things, then don't thrown the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. (kind of like the emergent church - however you happen to define her - she's worth a lot, even if the waters surrounding her get a little muddy now and then).

People have been journalling for centuries. Blogging is just a 21st century mode of doing it. Saves a few trees, too...

And thanks to you, I'm about 1/3 of the way through Brian McClaren's Generous Orthodoxy, which I probably would not otherwise have read anytime soon - and it's good stuff. So thanks.

Grace and peace,
Happy


P.S. Tomorrow is another day, fresh, with no mistakes in it. - Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables
(or L.M. Montgomery if you want to be technical about it. Either way it's still true.) :)

 
At 6/29/2006 9:19 AM, Blogger Kevin C said...

No doubt that blogging is a mixed bag. I've definitely found the opportunity to process some thoughts very helpful. But, the self-love is also a piece that I'm not sure justifies the benefits. Anyway, thanks for your concern and prayer!

 
At 6/29/2006 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you , Happy, for using an Anne of Green Gables quote. My sentiments exactly...Isn't blogging a more modern and public journal? I think that deep down journal-ers someday want someone to read their journals. Unless they burn their journals -- then that would be a clear indication that they didn't want anyone to read them. But anyhoo... it really does come down to what you are treasuring in your heart...

 
At 7/05/2006 12:10 PM, Blogger barry said...

good questions you are asking!

i'm concerned about the way we are relating to each other. I have recently had my first "argument" on a blog. with a really good friend I know in person...

still, it's nice to find someone across the globe asking similar questions.

while i share your concerns, i'd ask: what can you (we) do to encourage the best aspects of blogging and encorage the kind of conversation and community that we long for...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home