Wednesday, June 7

Reflections on Romancing the Wife

I think I learned something very crucial about women last night. Kathi and I were up last talking, and she confessed that she longed for me to romance her more. Now, I have usually approached "romance" with much cyncism. I always felt that flowers and love notes and googly eyes were such a trite way to express deep love for someone. I've always communicated my love by softly touching her cheek or battling for her in prayer or sacrificing my desires and comfort for hers (I'm not so good at this one, but I'm getting better). Those things, in my eyes, truly demonstrate love.

In the past when I've attempted certain romantic gestures, they always felt forced and obligatory. And, I hated that. I recoiled at the inauthentic motions of romance. It just wasn't the way my heart said "I love you."

But, my wonderful wife educated me last night. Kathi knows that I love her, and she doesn't doubt my overtures of affection. But, the romance elicits something deeply feminine within women. When a man writes a love letter or makes googly eyes, it makes women truly feel womanly. Romance may not be the best way for me to express my heart, but it is crucial for drawing out the woman in my wife. Now, that's something I can passionately work for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home