Friday, July 21

Reflections on Music Funk

News Flash: I'm completely out of touch with the contemporary music scene. I've noticed that as I descend into adulthood, my relevance and interaction with the currents of American popular music has disappeared along with my 29-inch waistline. Along with a generally increasing uncoolness, this situation has also contributed to a stale and overplayed music library. The result is that I listen to music much less than I used to, which is a sad state of affairs indeed.

So, I need help. Any suggestions of bands to check out will be much appreciated. Generally, I am of a cheerful and up-beat disposition, therefore, I enjoy corresponding music. The last album that I bought (not counting Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto) is Jimmy Eat World, and I've enjoyed that immensely. I'm a sucker for creative guitar licks and sweet, poppy distortion. Secular versus Christian makes no difference, although I long to find a good Christian rock band that doesn't sound like everyone else and doesn't spew crappy inspirational lyrics (I'm looking at you, Steven Curtis Chapman!). Anybody have any ideas that will save my musical soul?

4 Comments:

At 7/21/2006 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, the 77's is where it's at! 80's-90's stuff, but put out a couple albums in the 2000's, and its a Christian rock band thats not afraid to sound different or touch on all the human emotions.

 
At 7/21/2006 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm personally a big fan of Caedmon's Call - a little more folk than pop, but good stuff, and lyrically creative. Share the Well is by far one of their best albums.

If you're a guitar lover, you'll like Shane and Shane - Upstairs is my favorite. And if you want non-crappy inspiration (SCC is not THAT bad!) - take a risk and try everybodyduck - they have an album called 8 seconds on a holy cow - which is why I bought it. :)

Other Christian rock bands to check out: By The Tree, Tree63, reliantK, Hawk Nelson, Nate Sallie

And for a complete change of pace - Norah Jones, Sarah McLaughlin, The Corrs, and anything written by my friend Josh Schicker: www.joshschicker.com

 
At 7/24/2006 9:19 AM, Blogger Kevin C said...

Happy - I too am a big fan of Caedmon's Call. Although I do not own Share the Well. Thanks for the other recommendations. I'll check them out.

Also, yeah, SCC isn't that bad, but he's the first one that came to mind. I even own a SCC CD.

 
At 7/27/2006 4:02 PM, Blogger Notablogger said...

Kane "Hopes & Fears" & Newest one which I cannot remember the title.

Sufjan Stevens, "Come on and Feel the Illionoise"

Death Cab for Cuties, "Plans"

Mercy Me, Anything they do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home