Friday, July 28

Reflections on One Good George

Seriously, I think George Washington was freakin' amazing! He is by far the greatest leader ever in the history of the world! Now, I don't consider myself very patriotic - the whole "America is pinnacle of human government and favored by God Himself" is ridiculous. But, come on! George-freakin Washington! After leading the Continental Army in victory over the British at Yorktown in 1781, George acsended to Michael Jackson celebrity status. They wanted to make him king for crying out loud! And, he gave it all up preferring to return to his country bougeois lifestyle.

Seven years later when he was elected president he was essentially given a mandate to govern for life (at that time there were no term limits). Instead, after two terms in office, he decides not to run again setting a two-term precedent that lasted until FDR. What's so amazing about all of this? On two separate occassion, he humbly gave up power in favor of democratic principle. Napoleon couldn't do that. Robespierre wasn't up to it. I doubt very many U.S. Presidents since Washington would have done it if not compelled by law or tradition to do so. His ability to relinquish power is what makes George so awesome, and it's because of him that we still live in a (mostly) democratic society.

I have only two weeks of work left! Not much to do in the office, hence my ramblings about great world leaders. Anyway, I'm sure after two weeks of sitting on my butt at home I'll want to go back to work again...isn't that how it works?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home