Monday, September 25

Reflections on Real Ministry

Yesterday we had dinner with my old roommate, Dave Westergaard (he's the one on the left). He one of those men that I deeply admire for his simply lifestyle, love for Jesus, and abounding prayer life. We talked a great deal about ministry and ways we have been dissatisfied with how the church has gone about ministry. Dave and I have always resonated with each on this topic, but he shared some stuff that really solidified some of my thoughts.

Dave told me about a missions organization that he discovered that seemed to have nailed powerful and abundant ministry. It's called InnerChange and it is primarily a incarnational ministry to the poor. On their website they describe their values as an interplay of three dynamics: the Missionary, the Prophetic, and the Contemplative.
Click here if you want to check it out for yourself.

As missionaries they are called to proclaim the Kingdom of God to the poor. As prophets they are called to be the Gospel incarnation by making their own lifestyle resonate with their message. As contemplatives they recognize that any such ministry apart from deep intimacy with Jesus breeds frustration, bitterness, and failure. These three veins optomize exactly what's been brewing in my heart for several years, and it's exactly what I pray our ministry will resemble in Germany.

I shared with Dave though, that one of my great fears is that I'll never see these things grow out practically in my life. It's all well and good that I've come to some of these conclusions in my heart and mind, but will I ever see them in my life? By God's mercy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home