Friday, January 19

Reflections on Questioning Evangelism

Recently, I finished up the best book I've ever read on evangelism. It was Questioning Evangelism by Randy Newman. The title is a little deceiving. Being a career Crusade staff-member, he'd be the last person to question the validity of evangelism. Rather, he's referring to a method of evangelism that uses primarily questions instead of rote memorized material or monological sermonettes. By asking questions, you put the burden of persuasion on the person you're talking to instead of on yourself.

Most important, asking questions forces Christians to do something they're usually not good at doing, especially when it comes to evangelism - listening. Authentic dialogue and questions display humility, confidence in your own beliefs, and genuine care for the person. He does so much in this book to address the "used car salesman" feeling that I have had so often when sharing my faith. Dialogue is the answer to that feeling. Definitely pick this one up if you get the chance.

2 Comments:

At 1/23/2007 11:24 AM, Blogger Notablogger said...

Looks like a good book, I think I'll pick it up and add it to my list of books to read. One down, 435 to go.

Looking forward to watching 'The Office' with you this week.

 
At 1/28/2007 7:00 PM, Blogger Happy said...

Sounds like a great book, Kevin - thanks for the recommendation... I'll add it to the list of everything I want to read while I'm on sabbatical from reading... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home