Sunday, March 18

Reflections on Church Membership

This morning I was officially inducted as a member of Christ Community Church here in Dellroy. This is the same church that Kathi's parents have been a part of since children and the congregation in which Kathi grew up in. Now I'm part of the family. It's been awesome getting to know these people, and it's awesome to see church happen in a context besides suburbia. There's more of a sense of community and communal responsibility here than in my previous church experiences.

It also means that I'm a member of a church for the first time in my life. I've always been reluctant to join a church because membership always seemed antiquated to me. What's the point? If you're committed to a body to serve, love, and engage in mission with, why is the legality of membership necessary? I'm still not sure on that issue. Any thoughts? At any rate, I'm now a part of this awesome church body!

1 Comments:

At 3/24/2007 12:04 AM, Blogger Happy said...

You know, church membership is something I've always taken pretty seriously. I feel that if I'm going to say something is true (for example, "I believe all the things this church holds to be doctrinally true") I'd better be behind that. And if I'm going to be committed to a church, I need to be committed to it, and not be hopping around from church to church in case there's something better out there somewhere. So why sign the papers and stand up and pledge loyalty to a certain congregation? Well, why do people stand up in front of a bunch of people at weddings and promise each other a whole lot of pretty serious things? If the Church is the bride of Christ, then by analogy, a contract isn't necessarily out of the question...

So congrats on your official church membership. :) You get to vote now...and sign up for coffee hour duty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home