Friday, May 11

Reflections on God's Majesty

I've been leading a Bible study at our church for the past several weeks, and recently we discussed the majesty of God. We've been coming to realize just how weak our vision of God and His holiness really is. The verse we studied was the commissioning of the prophet Isaiah in chapter 6:

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying.
And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."

At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke. "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."

Wow! I mean, come on! When was the last time any of us had such a reaction to the presence of God Almighty? It's amazing how much we have created a nice, tame God who is cuddly and soft. The reality is that God is awesome and mighty. No wonder our worship and our Christian lives have been flabby and weak.

Now I have no idea how we can return to right thoughts about God. I do know that this tame version of God is the essence of idolatry - the worship of a false image of God. Lord, help us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home