Monday, September 10

Reflections on Roofing Servanthood

My experiences as a country farm hand just got another chapter this weekend. There is a man in our church here that was recently diagnosed with cancer. He works as a carpenter in a shop next to his house, and recently this shop developed a leaky roof. With him undergoing treatment, he's had neither the energy or the money to replace the roof. Well, the men in our church came out in full force this weekend. About 20 of us showed up 7am on Saturday and stripped, sealed, and put on new shingles in about 8 hours. It was an amazing manifestation of the body of Christ.

On a personal level, it was also a lot of fun. Many of the people there said that I've missed my true calling and that I should abandon the ministry in favor of a career as a roofer. I don't know about that, but using the nail gun was pretty sweet. And, at the very least, I feel confident that I would know how to replace a roof if I needed to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home