Friday, October 12

Reflections on Gore's Prize

Now, I rarely will speak my mind about political issues on this blog. As I've mentioned before, I've become so disillusioned with politics that it seems an futile exercise to try and argue it. But, something happened today that made me scratch my head. Al Gore along with the International Panel on Climate Change won the Nobel Peace Prize. Huh?!? No matter where you stand on the issues surrounding climate change, this one should have all sensible people befuddled. What does Al Gore's campaign to raise awareness of the threats of global climate change have to do with promoting world peace?

According to Alfred Nobel's will, which established the Prize in 1901, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." From what I've heard, the Nobel Committee's justification for award this prize to Gore was that his work has done much to avert future wars and conflicts that will be caused by climate change. So, this is the first Nobel Peace Prize to be award to a person for avoiding a future hypothetical conflict. Maybe I'm not seeing it, but I can not fathom what Al Gore's work has to do with the reduction of armed conflict in the world.

1 Comments:

At 10/15/2007 2:57 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

I second that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home