Friday, November 9

Reflections on Mistaken Femininity

Today we had to call TracFone's customer service line to figure out how to reset our voicemail password. While we accomplished this task, I encountered once again an issue that I've faced all of my adult life. Customer service operators always mistake me for a woman! I can't escape it. Every time I call one of these help lines - whether it be for a credit card, utility service, or tech support - they call me ma'am through the entire call. It literally happens to me every time!

Here's an example from a credit card company I called:
Operator: My name is so-and-so, can I help you?
Me: I was wondering if you could help me with your crappy credit card.
Operator: What's the name on the card, ma'am?
Me: The card belongs to me, Kevin Cram. That's K-E-V-I-N.
Operator: Is this your husband's card then, ma'am?
Me: [incredulous] No...it's my card...I am the owner of it.
Operator: Okay, ma'am, I'll be happy to help you with that.
Me: AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I have no idea how to stop this. I've tried talking in a really low voice, but has never helped. I always emphasize that my name is Kevin every time I call. But, in all of my customer service experiences as an adult, I have never been called sir. Is that too much to ask? I'm getting really tired of this continual degradation of my masculinity.

For those of you who know me, do I really sound that girlish on the phone? Does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this?

3 Comments:

At 11/09/2007 2:08 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

Oh, that's awful! I've never talked to you on the phone but I don't think your voice sounds feminine in real life, if that helps.

As for how to get them to stop that... I don't know... unless you said, "I have a problem with my credit card and I AM A MAN".

 
At 11/13/2007 10:44 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

If it makes you feel any better I once got into an argument with a telemarketer about whether I was really Mrs. Crandall or a 10 year old trying desperately to trick said telemarketer into telling me what he wanted with Mrs. Crandall.

 
At 11/16/2007 12:04 AM, Blogger Randy said...

I'm no help, because the same thing happens to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home