Monday, March 10

Reflections on Nerd-dom

If you're ever bored and want to blow a couple of hours online, go to www.NationalAtlas.org. It is the federal governments online collection of maps including everything ranging from congressional districts to industrial energy consumption per capita. The fact that I spent two hours playing around with it the other day proves that I'm a complete nerd. But, even if you're not a nerd, they have an interactive layers map that interesting to play around with for a little while.

It enlightened me to some pretty interesting facts about our country. For example, I was completely unaware of how much land our government still owns. Military installations and national parks aside, the Public Land Office is the largest land holder in the United States. Here's another fun fact. There are parts of western Pennsylvania that are still considered unexplored wilderness. Anyway, if you're not a nerd, you may commence making fun of me now.

2 Comments:

At 3/12/2008 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, this map site has officially blown my world apart.

 
At 3/16/2008 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin, I felt that since no one in the world is givng the White Sox any credit, I will have to give you my own predictions. I do feel that the White Sox will stand with the Indians and Tigers this year. Note that the White Sox had the fourth most quality starts last year, and have improve significantly their bullpen and offense.

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Guess who? The Sox.
AL West: I agree with you on this one, the Mariners, although the Angels will give them a run for their money.
AL Wildcard: Detroit

NL East: The Phillies
NL Central: Nobody. (Milwaukee)
NL West: Dodgers
NL Wildcard: Mets

WS: White Sox over Mets in 7 games.
(I can't help myself, but when the White Sox follow Boston to a WS title for the third time in history, now I will have MY documentation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home